Alzheimer’s Disease – Symptom, Treatment of Alzheimers Disease
Table of Contents
What is Alzheimer’s Disease?
Alzheimer’s Disease is a condition is a degenerative disease and one of the commonest causes of dementia in the elderly. Alzheimer’s Disease is characterised by the death of nerve cells in the cerebral hemispheres of the brain. This gradually leads to the atrophy of the brain, which shrinks in size.
Clinical Features of Alzheimer’s Disease
1. The onset is gradual and subtle.
2. Deterioration of memory.
3. Depression, anxiety and odd behavior.
4. Gait disturbances, shuffling in manner.
5. Stiffness, slowness and awkwardness of movement.
6. Excessive drowsiness.
7. Gradual loss of interest in surroundings.
8. Bowel and bladder are incontinent.
Management of Alzheimer’s Disease
1. Support of the family.
2. As much mental activity as possible.
3. Physical activity to be encouraged.