What is Measles?
Measles is an acute febrile eruption, which is a worldwide phenomenon. It is an extremely infectious disease. It occurs in children in epidemics, especially during the first eight years. In India, it is common during the months of January-March. A virus causes measles. Measles is also called Rubeola. Measles is a contagious disease in children. Measles rarely strikes adults, but if it does, it leaves them prostrated for quite some time – more common in warm than in cold weather.
More on symptoms of Measles:
Measles begins with a slight feverishness, cold in the head, running of the eyes, and dry cough.
Complications of Measles
2. Middleear infections.
3. Infections of heart (Myocarditis).
4. Inflammation of the brain (Encephalitis).
5. Inflammation of the spinal cord (Myelitis)
What are the causes of Measles?
Measles virus, the cause of measles, is classified as a Morbillivirus. It is mostly seen in the winter and spring. Rubeola is preventable by proper immunization with the measles vaccine.
Management of Measles
1. Complete bed rest in a
2. Plenty of fluids orally.
3. Light nutritious diets.
Treatment for Rubeola / Measles:
Specific treatment for measles, rubeola will be determined by your physician based on:
- your child’s age, overall health, and medical history
- extent of the disease
- your child’s tolerance for specific medications, procedures or therapies
- expectations for the course of the disease
- your opinion or preference
Clinical Features of Measles
- Incubation period 10-15 days.
- High fever, cough and cold, irritability.
- Watery red eyes.
- Koplikspots (small red spots with a white centre) are seen on the inside of the cheeks.
- Characteristic rash all over the skin spreading from behind the ears and across the face. The rash is dense over the forehead, face, and shoulders. It reaches the feet by the third day. The lesions persist for 3 days and then disappear in their order of appearance resulting in a total duration of a rash of about 6 days. As the rash fades, a brown discoloration of the skin may be noticed. No marks are left behind with recovery.