What is Megaloblastic Anemia?
Megaloblastic type of anemia is due to Vitamin B 12 or folic acid deficiency.
Vit B12 Deficiency or Pernicious Anemia
Causes of Megaloblastic Anemia
1. Inadequate intake e.g. Elderly people.
2. Malabsorption in the digestive system.
3. Disorders of terminal illness e.g cancers.
Causes of Folic Acid Deficiency
1. Inadequate intake e.g. Poor people.
2. Increased requirements: Pregnancy, infancy, cancers.
Clinical Features of Megaloblastic Anemia
1. Anemia, Pallor.
2. Weight loss, weakness.
3. Glossitis (Cracked tongue, burning sensation).
4. Giddiness, palpitation, chest discomfort.
Management of Megaloblastic Anemia
1. Replace deficiency (See Diet and Nutrition).
2. Improve diet.
3. Start performing exercises in the house (See Exercises).
4. Consult a doctor.