Patients already classified as demonstrating somatization disorder or schizophrenia are also not classified under conversion disorder.Conversion disorder was thought to manifest itself in many different ways. Conversion disorders were thought to be triggered by acute psychosocial stress. Psychologic factors are judged to be associated with the symptom or deficit. Depression and other psychological disorders are commonly seen in patients with conversion disorder. Patients achieve secondary gain by avoiding activities that are particularly offensive to them, thereby gaining support from family and friends, which otherwise may not be offered. Psychiatric treatment is recommended to help the person understand the underlying psychological conflict. Pharmacological Therapy – In some cases, antidepressants may be used to speed recovery. Studies have shown that antidepressants may be helpful for patients with conversion disorder. Hypnosis is usually used in conjunction with another form of psychotherapy in treating conversion disorder.
Causes of Conversion Disorder
Common Causes and Risk factors of Conversion Disorder
- Psychologic stress.
- Traumatic event.
- Psychological disorders.
Signs and Symptoms of Conversion Disorder
Common Sign and Symptoms of Conversion Disorder
- Sensory disturbances.
- Inability to speak.
Treatment for Conversion Disorder
Common Treatment for Conversion Disorder
- Cognitive behavior therapy can help alleviate symptoms of conversion disorder and prevent its recurrence.
- Suggestive therapy can help eliminate symptoms, especially in children.
- Physical therapy-physical therapist may prevent complications of certain symptoms of conversion disorder. For example, regular movement of arms and loss of mobility.
- Meditation help reduce stress or emotional reactions to the events that prompt symptoms of conversion disorder. Anti-anxiety medication, such as benzodiazepine (Valium, Xanax, Ativan) or a beta blocker such as nadolol (Corgard) or atenolol (Tenormin).
- Others treatment selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressant such as fluoxetine (Prozac) or paroxetine (Paxil) may help.
- Undergoing hypnosis with a trained expert may help a person identify and resolve psychological issues.
- Yoga is also useful for conversion disorder patients.
- Cultural factors may play a significant role. Avoid it.